Colombian opposition is ready for talks with FARC
Colombia's ex-president Alvaro Uribe, who led the successful campaign to reject a peace accord with FARC rebels, says he may now be open to talks, BBC reported on Wednesday.
Uribe, leader of the right-wing Democratic Center party, had previously ruled out such talks. But after a referendum rejected the peace accord between the rebels and the government, he said his group might now take part in the "national interest".
Opponents of the accord to end 52 years of conflict thought the peace deal was too lenient on the FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia). They were angered that FARC guerrillas were offered congressional seats and non-custodial sentences such as clearing landmines in return for ending the conflict.
Uribe said on Tuesday: "We think that at this time, in the interest of a national deal, spokespeople from 'No' could at some point speak with the FARC."
President Juan Manuel Santos, who spearheaded the accord and won the Nobel Peace Prize
this month for his efforts, has been talking with the opposition to try to salvage it. He said he would take opposition proposals into discussions with the FARC later in the week.