Rebels in Syria have announced a big offensive aimed at breaking the government siege of east Aleppo, BBC reported on Friday.
A UK-based monitoring group said the rebels had fired "hundreds"
of missiles into western Aleppo, killing at least 15 civilians. They are also reported to have targeted al-Nayrab military airport to the east.
About 275,000 people have been besieged in the east by pro-government forces for several months. Syria and its ally Russia have recently intensified air strikes on the east.
The attacks are so far coming from rebels outside Aleppo but it is understood that rebels inside the city will join the offensive."All the revolutionary factions, without exception, are participating in the battle,"
the military spokesman for the Fastaqim faction inside the city said.
Rebels fired Grad missiles at al-Nayrab, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) monitoring group said. Up to 115 people were killed or wounded, it added.
They also detonated two car bombs - one a digger driven by a suicide bomber from Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, formerly the al-Qaeda-linked Nusra Front - against government positions to the south-west of the city.
The area around the Hmeimim air base near the coastal city of Latakia - the main airport used by the Russian air force - was also reportedly targeted, the SOHR said.
It is the rebels' second attempt to break the siege. In August they temporarily opened a corridor between the east and west after the government entirely encircled them for the first time in July.
The city, previously Syria's economic hub, has been divided between the two sides since 2012.